Under the direction of the Director of Parks & Recreation, the Maintenance Technician I position will perform outdoor and indoor assignments, as needed, for the general maintenance of all facilities and grounds assigned to the Harris Community Center. Also, they will assist with the promotion, setup, running, and teardown of department special events as needed.
RECEIVES direct supervision from the Director of Parks and Recreation.
EXERCISES no supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Mow grass, edge walks, weed flower beds, prune, trim trees and shrubbery as needed.
- Water and fertilize as needed. Assist in operation and maintenance of irrigation system.
- Keep grounds free of obstructions and debris.
- Maintain date log of monthly and yearly building maintenance requirements including air filter changes, fire extinguishers inspections, etc.
- Assemble and tear-down of the dance floor.
- Move furniture around depending on the needs of various venues.
- Assist in setting up audio and visual equipment.
- Floor maintenance including scrubbing sweeping, mopping, etc.
- Work with household and industrial grade chemicals.
- Ability to scrape old paint and apply new.
- Carpet and upholstery care including vacuuming, scrubbing, steam cleaning, etc.
- High and low dusting.
- Clean exterior and interior windows.
- Clean restrooms and stock supplies.
- Clean mowers and perform preventative maintenance and equipment maintenance on all equipment and materials being used.
- Maintain safety regulations including wearing appropriate clothing and protective gear if needed.
- Inspect, clean, and maintain equipment and tools used to ensure they are in safe operating order.
- Perform routine inspections of assigned areas to detect any necessary repairs or hazardous conditions.
- Utilize proper safety precautions related to all work performed.
- Maintain indoor equipment.
- Maintain inventory for janitorial supplies and lawn care needs.
Assisting with Special Events
- Assist staff with promotion, setup, running, and tear down of events as needed.
- Assist customers in scheduling the rental of the community center and parks facilities.
- Show rental space and assist with schematic layouts.
- May be required to assist in the setup, teardown, and cleanup for special events and meetings outside of the Harris Center responsibilities.
- May occasionally be required to work on-call, events or weekends.
- Assist in other departmental operations when needed.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Perform other job duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
A High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- Grounds keeping and facility maintenance.
- Safe and proper application of chemicals.
- Safe and efficient operation of various types of maintenance equipment including lawn care equipment and tools associated with building maintenance.
- Audio and visual equipment.
- General knowledge of maintenance for fixtures, furniture, appliance, etc.
- Some electrical and construction repair knowledge.
- General computer knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Word.
Skills and Abilities:
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports.
- Operate vehicles, maintenance equipment, and tools required on the job.
- Communicate well with people and possess strong customer service skills.
- Lift 75 lbs or more, and push over 100 lbs of weight. Must be able to work on an extension ladder for extended periods and stand for extended periods of time.
- Possess strong multi-tasking skills.
- Must have personal transportation to and from work.
- Be punctual and regular in attendance.
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C Texas driver’s license.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, appropriate chemical application licenses.
- May be required to obtain certification or licensure specific to area of assignment after date of employment at the City’s expense.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND CONDITIONS
- Work is performed in an indoor/outdoor environment.
- May be subject to walking on uneven or unstable terrain.
- May be subject to repetitive motion and light manual labor such as painting and picking up trash and recyclables.
- May be subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, climbing ladders, and lifting.
- May be subject to occasional carrying, bending, reaching, kneeling, pulling, and crouching.
- May be exposed to extreme weather conditions, hazardous chemicals, fumes, heights, air and water borne pathogens.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.